I’m a Ph.D student in Data Science at Worcester Polytechnic Institute focusing on sequential machine learning, advised by Prof. Elke Rundensteiner and Prof. Xiangnan Kong and collaborating with Cansu Sen in the Data Science Research Group.
I am broadly interested in human learning and how we can emulate this process in computers, particularly how computers can build useful representations of the world. Recently, this agenda has led me down the path of recurrent neural networks (RNN), which loosely emulate human information representation. I am also interested in reinforcement learning and how it models sequential decision making, an integral part of how we interact with the world. My current research revolves around advancing RNNs for a variety of tasks including time series classification, sequential text document classification, and conditional computing.
Please feel free to contact me with questions regarding my research or Data Science at WPI at email@example.com.
- Ph.D. Data Science, May 2021, Worcester Polytechnic Institute.
- M.S. Data Science, November 2018, Worcester Polytechnic Institute.
- B.A. Applied Mathematics, Minor in BioMathematics, 2016, SUNY Geneseo.
In my spare time, I enjoy rock climbing, cycling, reading (fantasy and science outreach), and music (I play guitar/violin and listen mainly to folk, indie rock, and power metal).
- November 15, 2018: Master’s Thesis - Successfully defended Master’s Thesis: Adaptively-Halting RNN for Tunable Early Classification of Time Series.
- October 12, 2018: Paper Submission - We submitted 3 papers to SIAM International Conference on Data Mining. These papers study recurrent neural networks in 3 situations: early time series classification, sequential document classification, and time-based attention mechanisms.
- August 02, 2018: REU Complete - Mentored two undergraduate REU students, resulting in one paper and one poster. They submitted a paper to the MIT URTC and their poseter will be presented at the Research Experience for Undergraduates Symposium in Washington, D.C.
- June 15, 2018: Paper Submission - We submitted one paper on Early Classification of MRSA Infections to CCIS.
- June 05, 2018: Paper Submission - We submitted one paper studying sequential document classification to the International Conference on Data Mining (ICDM 2018).
- May 30, 2018: New Project - I am working with 2 undergraduate Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) students this summer to develop a state-of-the-art model for classifying time series with missing values.
- April 30, 2018: AWARD - I was awarded the WPI Data Science Citizen Award for involvement and participation in the growth of the department.
- April 30, 2018 - Completed course: Deep Learning.
- April 24, 2018: PRESENTATION - Poster presentation at the WPI Graduate Research and Innovation Exchange. We had three posters at this event, one of which won the People’s Choice Award.
- January 19, 2018: PRESENTATION - I presented our paper “Early Prediction of MRSA Infections Using Electronic Health Records” at HEALTHINF 2018 in Madeira, Funchal.
- December 14, 2017 - Completed courses: Big Data Management and Business Intelligence.
- December 12, 2017: AWARD - Our paper, “Early Prediction of MRSA Infections Using Electronic Health Records”, was nominated for the HEALTHINF 2018 best student paper award.
- October 16, 2017: PAPER - Our paper, “Early Prediction of MRSA Infections Using Electronic Health Records”, was accepted to HEALTHINF 2018 as a full paper.
- August 19, 2017: Conference - Attended Machine Learning for Healthcare (MLHC) 2017.
- June 23, 2017: PAPER - Our paper, “CREST - Risk Prediction for Clostridium Difficile Infection Using Multimodal Data Mining”, was accepted to ECML-PKDD 2017 as a full paper.
- May 2, 2017: AWARD - I was awarded the WPI Data Science Citizen Award for involvement and participation in the growth of the department.
- May 2, 2017 - Completed courses: Statistical Methods for Data Science and Database Management Systems.
- February 8, 2017: AWARD - Poster presentation with Cansu Sen at the WPI Graduate Research and Innovation Exchange, received the People’s Choice award.
- December 14, 2016 - Completed courses: Introduction to Data Science and Data Mining.
- August 25, 2016 - Began Ph.D. at Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Worcester, Massachusetts.