I’m a Ph.D student in Data Science at Worcester Polytechnic Institute focusing on Machine Learning, advised by Prof. Elke Rundensteiner and collaborating with Prof. Xiangnan Kong and Cansu Sen in the Data Science Research Group.
I investigate sequential machine learning algorithms, particularly recurrent neural networks. My research revolves around three main topics related to recurrent neural networks: long-term dependencies in sequential data, asynchronous temporal data, and conditional computing. I also dabble in reinforcement learning, taking particular interest in gradient-based policy-search methods.
Please feel free to contact me with questions regarding my research or Data Science at WPI at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ph.D. Data Science, est. 2021, Worcester Polytechnic Institute.
- B.A. Applied Mathematics, Minor in BioMathematics, 2016, SUNY Geneseo.
I am currently interested in learning patterns in time series as early as possible.
In many domains, the evaluation of a predictive model should not only be accuracy, but a trade-off between accuracy and earliness.
In general I am interested in modeling very long sequences and sensor fusion through Recurrent Neural Networks.
While so far my work has been evaluated in the clinical domain, I am far more interested in the theory behind these techniques, and these problems are present in many domains.
- August 02, 2018: REU Complete - Mentored two undergraduate REU students, resulting in one paper and one poster. They submitted a paper to the MIT URTC and their poseter will be presented at the Research Experience for Undergraduates Symposium in Washington, D.C.
- June 15, 2018: Paper Submission - We submitted one paper on Early Classification of MRSA Infections to CCIS.
- June 05, 2018: Paper Submission - We submitted one paper studying sequential document classification to the International Conference on Data Mining (ICDM 2018).
- May 30, 2018: New Project - I am working with 2 undergraduate Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) students this summer to develop a state-of-the-art model for classifying time series with missing values.
- April 30, 2018: AWARD - I was awarded the WPI Data Science Citizen Award for involvement and participation in the growth of the department.
- April 30, 2018 - Completed course: Deep Learning.
- April 24, 2018: PRESENTATION - Poster presentation at the WPI Graduate Research and Innovation Exchange. We had three posters at this event, one of which won the People’s Choice Award.
- January 19, 2018: PRESENTATION - I presented our paper “Early Prediction of MRSA Infections Using Electronic Health Records” at HEALTHINF 2018 in Madeira, Funchal.
- December 14, 2017 - Completed courses: Big Data Management and Business Intelligence.
- December 12, 2017: AWARD - Our paper, “Early Prediction of MRSA Infections Using Electronic Health Records”, was nominated for the HEALTHINF 2018 best student paper award.
- October 16, 2017: PAPER - Our paper, “Early Prediction of MRSA Infections Using Electronic Health Records”, was accepted to HEALTHINF 2018 as a full paper.
- August 19, 2017: Conference - Attended Machine Learning for Healthcare (MLHC) 2017.
- June 23, 2017: PAPER - Our paper, “CREST - Risk Prediction for Clostridium Difficile Infection Using Multimodal Data Mining”, was accepted to ECML-PKDD 2017 as a full paper.
- May 2, 2017: AWARD - I was awarded the WPI Data Science Citizen Award for involvement and participation in the growth of the department.
- May 2, 2017 - Completed courses: Statistical Methods for Data Science and Database Management Systems.
- February 8, 2017: AWARD - Poster presentation with Cansu Sen at the WPI Graduate Research and Innovation Exchange, received the People’s Choice award.
- December 14, 2016 - Completed courses: Introduction to Data Science and Data Mining.
- August 25, 2016 - Began Ph.D. at Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Worcester, Massachusetts.